M.F.A., Film and Video Production, University of North Carolina at Greensboro
M.S., Geological Sciences, University of Oregon
B.S., Geology, University of Wisconsin at River Falls
Project Management Professional (PMP), Project Management Institute
Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) Certified Practitioner
Assistant Professor of Mass Communication, August 2013 to present
Bemidji State University, Bemidji, MN
- Received exemplary student evaluations for courses in a variety of disciplines — Media Writing, Advertising, Public Relations, Media Ethics, Communication Law, Social Media and Video Editing.
- Continually revise current courses and design new courses to ensure the content is relevant for students and their future employers.
- Transformed the Headwaters Film Festival from a faculty run organization to an entirely student run organization. In 2015, student effort increased the festival audience attendance by 300%.
- Created videos to improve cultural communication and increase international sales for clients.
Director of Media, Marketing, and Client Services, January 2013 to August 2013
Ball Dermpath, PA, Greensboro, NC
- Directed marketing efforts, client services, and media projects for new medical laboratory.
- Researched and released RFPs for document control system and company website.
- Planned and oversaw advertising and promotion activities including print, online, electronic media, conventions, and trade shows.
- Supervised, monitored, and evaluate the performance of employees and contractors.
Chief Operating Officer/Producer, June 2011 to January 2013
Blackwing Media Group, Greensboro, NC
- Directed marketing efforts and media projects for our one client, Ball DermPath, PA.
- Conducted in depth market and new technology analysis – including e-learning, video production, game development, and online video streaming with social media integration.
- Collaboratively created and launched new Internet video product, ZuZuMedia.com, for pediatric dermatology patients and their caregivers.
- Utilize well-honed administrative skills (PMP certified) to manage website RFP, website development, and supervise video production teams.
- Supervised, monitored, and evaluated the performance of employees and contractors.
Principal Systems Analyst/Project Manager, October 1999 to June 2008
City of Portland, Oregon
- Managed cutting edge software implementation and technology projects.
- Created and evangelized detailed project vision and mission to team members (40+)
- Supervised, monitored, and evaluated team members. Managed budget and delivered projects on time and within budget (up to $1 million).
- My team won the coveted Blue Heron Award, an award given to only one group per year for exceptional service to the environment.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Skilled at developing marketing materials and managing vendors.
- Adept at using: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), WordPress, Adobe Crate Suite (After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash), Anime Studio Pro, Microsoft Access, SQL Server, Crystal Reports, Dreamweaver, Joomla, and MPEG Streamclip.
- Video Production – script writing, producing, shooting, and editing short videos.
- Adept at teaching: Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Soundtrack Pro, Compressor, WordPress, Banner, and Blackboard.
- Skilled at data collection, analysis, and synthesis.
- Exceptional conceptual thinker and innovative problem solver.
- Adept at uncovering resources and data from the Internet.
- Relish the opportunity to learn new technology and find innovate uses for it.
- Creatively presents information and results to connect and persuade audience.
Awards and Grants
- Professional Improvement Grants, Bemidji State University 2013, 2014, 2015
- Presidential Mini Grant, Bemidji State University, 2014
- Fargo Film Festival – Best Student Non Fiction Film, 2012
- University Film and Video Association Carole Fielding Grant Award, 2011
- Whiskey River Film Festival – Audience Choice Award, 2011
- Student Academy Award – Finalist, 2010
- UNCG Graduate Student Association Thesis Grant, Fall 2010
- Go Pro Camera Company Sponsorship, www.gopro.com, Camera Grant, 2010
- Twin Rivers Media Festival-WNC Achievement Award, 2010
- Reynolda Film Festival – Best Experimental Film, 2010, 2011
- Carolina Film and Video Festival – Honorable Mention, 2010
- UNCG Sustainability Film Festival – 3rd Prize, 2010
- Black Maria Film Festival – 3rd Prize, 2010
- UFVA Carole Fielding Grant, 2010
- UNCG Graduate Student Association Professional Development Grant, Fall 2009 & Fall, Spring 2010
- City of Portland, Best SAP Training Presentation–2008
- Blue Heron Award, 2006